Round 7 of the 2019 Betfred Super League season certainly disappoint and after St Helens dispatched a Huddersfield team looking to build on their victory the previous weekend at Wigan, the one remaining 100% record remained in tact. A game which was tight at half-time with the score at 16-12 in favour of the visiting Saints, an impressive second half saw Justin Holbrook’s men add 28 unanswered points and, with seven different try scorers, the Red Bee look like a team with strike all over the pitch. Lachlan Coote was arguably the best player on the pitch and, with six goals and a try to his name, the full-back certainly played his part and has settled in well to life at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

Friday night saw arguably the match of the round and, dubbed ‘bad blood’ in the build up, there was certainly a flashpoint which resulted in one sin-binning for each of Wigan and Warrington before Ben Westwood was shown a red card for a head butt. Prior to that, the Wolves again impressed and look the real deal this year. Boasting a commanding 12-0 half-time lead, a converted Josh Charnley try stretched the lead to 18-0 before quick Tom Davies and Willie Isa – who would be later sent to the bin – tries looked to have given the struggling Warriors a way back into the game. However, despite being one man down to Wigan, a late Jack Hughes try sealed the deal and leaves Steve Price’s team breathing down St Helens neck.

Hull FC, coming into their home match against Wakefield Trinity on the back of three wins, would have been confident of building on their good form but Trinity overcame injuries to star left edge men Bill Tupou and Tom Johnstone to earn another impressive victory. After scoring 14 points in four minutes around the half hour mark, Danny Houghton and Bureta Faraimo narrowed the deficit with converted tries before half time. That, however, was to be the end of the Airlie Birds’ scoring and, led by an impressive 60 minute shift from David Fifita, Wakefield sealed a 32-12 victory at the KCOM Stadium, earning their third victory of the season.

Leeds Rhinos’ former player Danny Ward then took his London Broncos team to Headingley Stadium and delivered the shock of the round, inflicting an 18-16 defeat on the struggling Rhinos. Leading 8-0 at half-time, the Broncos saw their hosts score sixteen unanswered points with Richie Myler, Trent Merrin and Tom Briscoe scoring for the hosts. An impressive late showing, though, from the visiting Broncos saw Matty Fozard and Will Lovell score tries in the last five minutes. Winger Kieran Dixon kicked his third goal from four attempts with moments remaining and handed the capital club their third win of the season to go with home triumphs over Wakefield and Wigan – the Broncos are certainly competing.

Catalans full-back Sam Tomkins earned plaudits from head coach Steve McNamara after his composed performance against his brother Joel’s Hull KR team, triumphing 18-16 at KCOM Craven Park. With the scores tied at the break with each side having kicked a penalty in the first half, back to back tries from forwards Weller Hauraki and Tomkins gave KR a 12-2 lead after fifty minutes. The French visitors, however, hit back with two four-pointers of their own with Brayden Williame and Lucas Albert scoring just after the hour mark. On the 64th minute, the Robins took the lead once more with an excellent Craig Hall interception where the winger outran a handful of Dragons defenders but, crucially, he missed the conversion. That opened the door for a Lewis Tierney try in the last five minutes to tie the scores before Tomkin’s third goal from five attempts sealed the two points for Catalans on Humberside.

Castleford Tigers maintained their third placed position over an impressive Salford Red Devils team, edging a tight game with a 24-20 win. Leading 12-4 at half-time through Nathan Massey and Jordan Rankin – after a Kris Welham error – gave Cas a good lead before an unconverted Jake Bibby try got Salford on the board. Greg Eden scored his customary try on the left edge before two quick fire tries from the visitors courtesy of Jansin Turgut and Joey Lussick – both conversed by the latter – clouds the game to just two points with over 20 minutes remaining. Jesse Sene-Lefao then scored a try and Jordan Rankin extended the lead with a penalty before Jake Bibby scored his second try of the match and fifth in two outings. Salford, however, couldn’t close the gap in the last few minutes and Daryl Powell’s men had another hard fought two points on the board.