Round 5 of the 2019 Betfred Super League kicked off with Warrington Wolves ending Castleford Tigers’thus-far 100% record with Steve Price’s men triumphing with a 24-10 win. The match saw off-season signing Jake Mamo make his first start for The Wire and he repaid the faith shown in him by scoring two tries, helping Warrington recover from their defeat at Catalans Dragons last time out.

After beating Castleford, Warrington join Daryl Powell’s men on eight points but the pair trail St Helens. After their 26-0 victory over London Broncos, the Saints hold onto the only remaining perfect start – and they did it without James Roby. With the early-pacesetter in the Man of Steel race rested, youngster Aaron Smith took to the field and helped Justin Holbrook’s team keep the capital club scoreless. Theo Fages starred for Saints, providing assists for Dominique Peyroux and Lachlan Coote, the latter coming after a sublime break through the centre, his pace giving the full-back the simplest of finishes. Those assists sandwiched his own try – arguably the best of the game – where he finished off good work from Zeb Taia to cross next to the sticks.

Huddersfield Giants stunned Adrian Lam’s Wigan Warriors at the DW Stadium, leaving Lancashire with the two points. Kruise Leeming kicked off the scoring after finishing off a fine break from Matt Frawley with help from Akuma Ta’ai. In a low scoring game, it looked as though Morgan Escare’s second-half score could lead to Wigan coming back and taking the points but a Lee Gaskell penalty and a converted Joe Wardle try left Simon Woolford’s men with their first Super League win of the season. Wigan’s cause wasn’t helped by Taulima Tautai’s sin-binning shortly after Escare’s try and the 14-6 loss maintained the Warriors’ disappointing start to the season.

Hull FC made it three consecutive victories after their lengthy winless run spanning back to last season. Despite falling 10-0 down early on to the visiting Leeds Rhinos through Harry Newman and Tom Briscoe tries, a spell of five tries in fifteen minutes saw Lee Radford’s men lead 30-10 at half-time. Dean Hadley scored the sole second half score and a final score of 34-10 left the Rhinos with their fifth defeat from six, only off bottom place on points difference. Hull FC, meanwhile, went into fifth place after Ratu Naulago continued his good form, joining Masi Matongo, Marc Sneyd, Albert Kelly and the returning Jamie Shaul in scoring first-half tries.

The surprise score – if not result – of the weekend came on Saturday evening in Perpignan where Ian Watson’s Salford Red Devils stunned Catalans Dragons in a 46-0 triumph. Leading 18-0 at half-time, a superb second half from the visitors gave Salford a first win in France for eight years. George Griffin and Jake Bibby led the way with two tries each while winger Ken Sio scored eighteen points, including the final try of the match. That left the Red Devils with their fourth win of the season while Catalans will be disappointed to have not built upon their impressive 23-22 victory the previous week against Warrington Wolves.

In the final match of the Super League weekend, Hull KR visited Wakefield Trinity to win 10-6 in a weather affected match at the Mobile Rocket Stadium. Despite being sin-binned earlier in the match for dissent, veteran half-back Danny McGuire crossed for a 72nd minute try – the sole four-pointer of the match – after the match had stood at 2-2 at half-time. Chris Chester was unhappy after the game, publicly questioning some decisions which went against his team. The result leaves Hull KR one place below Hull FC in sixth place on points difference while Trinity slipped to their third defeat of the season, failing to build upon their impressive victory over Leeds at Headingley last time out.