Rugby AM Exclusive Content Sign-in | Subscribe

On this day: 17th May 1992

Posted 17th May 2017 at 14:35 By Ben Carney

News | Updated: 17th May 2017 at 14:35

Premiership Final - Wigan Warriors 48-16 St Helens

On this day 25 years ago Wigan defeated their rivals St Helens 48-16 in the Premiership Final at Old Trafford to become the first side ever to win the domestic treble.

They beat Castleford in the Challenge Cup Final 28-12 two weeks before and had won the league for the third consecutive season by a resounding eight points.

The opening quarter was close with Wigan going ahead 4-2 after the sides exchanged penalties. Harry Sunderland winner and former St Helens player Andy Platt threw a dummy to cross from ten metres out in the 23rd minute.

Three minutes later St Helens replied when a George Mann pass ricocheted off Frano Botica and into the arms of Paul Loughlin.

In the 34th minute a Wigan mistake allowed Saints to swing the ball left for Anthony Sullivan to score in the corner to go take a 12-10 lead into half-time.

Wigan turned on the style after the break scoring 38 unanswered points. First, they spread the ball wide from deep inside their own half allowing a gap for Gene Miles who then fed the ball the Martin Offiah to finish off. Then Denis Betts then used his footwork to go in under the posts.

Moments later Wigan incredibly managed to keep the ball alive to give David Myers space to score in the corner. Miles followed up his assist with a try of his own as he evaded Kevin Ward and Phil Vievers to score. Offiah got his second as Saints expected a kick on the last tackle only for Offiah to glide through a huge hole in Saints’ defence.

Betts finished off of a fine Wigan display as he got his brace. St Helens got a consolation try in the last minute through Sullivan.


Sign In

Win £50 worth of OddBalls merchandise


Each month we have £50 of OddBalls gear to give away to one lucky person. Fill in the form and answer the question correctly for the chance to win!


Latest News